Monday, October 30, 2006

Branching Out


I've had three balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in my stash for almost a year now. I bought it back when I had no idea how much yarn you really needed to make things. Now I know about how much yarn a sweater takes vs. a scarf. I already have way too many scarves from the days when that was about all I knew how to make... but I decided to do the Branching Out scarf from Knitty. I figure I'll stash it away for a last minute Christmas gift. It was one of those projects that wasn't really my style, so it was hard to get excited about making it. I've been trying to take in patterns and not yarn lately, in hopes of finding fun projects to match up to the yarns in my stash. Fellow knitters, how do you handle it when you come across that yarn you just can't resist, whether because of the yarn, the price or both? Do you take the plunge and figure the perfect project will come along? Or do you furiously try to think of a project to justify the purchase?

3 comments:

Carol said...

It depends. If it is few enough balls of yarn that I can smuggle it into the house, I just buy it. If it is too many to smuggle, then I have to think up a story (whether it's true or not is irrelevant) to give the hubby.... And THEN I just buy it!

Sarah W. said...

That is a beautiful scarf!!

I don't have anyone to sneak yarn by, but I am po', so I don't recall just buying yarn for its loveliness without a purpose in mind.

I can always think of an appropriate project for the yarn I purchase. I think of it in the store. There are so many things I want to knit, or knit again, that I have a vast mental catalog.

I used to jot yarn requirements in my little booklet in my purse. . . .

Heather said...

i just buy it. i shop on too many impulses. ihave friend who never buys anything the first time they see it. but only the 2nd or 3rd time they see it and want it. too disciplined for me!