Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Murphy's Law of Home Ownership...

If your 20 year old A/C unit is going to act up, it will do it on a holiday weekend.


We arrived home about midnight Saturday to a deafening sound coming from the area of the air conditioner. Whatever was going on was making the house vibrate and was so loud we obviously could not sleep with the A/C on. So we made do with the ceiling fan until Sunday morning. Keep in mind this is the first weekend forecasted for upper-80's here in Middle-TN. The bedroom warmed enough to get me out of bed by 6:30. I read the Sunday paper on the front porch with thoughts of what a new 2.5 ton A/C unit could possibly cost. I talked to God and let him know I understood that these things weren't meant to last 20 years to begin with, and to please help there at least be someone that could come look at it before Tuesday.
HB woke up about an hour after me with his own plan of action. "I need to find that Poteete guy's phone number, Ricky's brother... he does heating and cooling. He told me if I ever needed anything to call him." Now, in guy world, when someone tells you to call if you need something, that does include the Sunday of a holiday weekend. We found the listing for Poteete Heating and Cooling on the internet and Greg called and talked with Johnny's wife. Long story short, they were both at our house by 9:30. Turns out the fan inside our until had broke in two. Johnny did some fabrication to replace the fan, cleaned our unit, checked the freon level, pet our dog and admired my JBL Creature speakers all within about and hour and a half. All for $80. This is the ultimate homeowner high. We were floating on air for the rest of the day, thinking about what we had braced ourselves for. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayers and wow, what a way to answer them.

2 comments:

Sarah W. said...

That's awesome!

I love your house, BTW.

Oh, and Sadie too.

And your HB is pretty funny. "Rockaby Baby"!

Jennifer Coomer said...

Our God is so good.